The Jägerbier has evolved into the Lynelbrau. This is the Oktoberfest recipe with the only change being a Kölsch yeast.
I brewed this 25g on my own on an off-work Friday. Everything went well.
Grain Bill- 56# total
- 26# Pilsner
- 19# Vienna
- 6# Munich
- 5# Wheat
- 9 oz 2.8% Hallertau 60′, was a little light on hops so Emma picked up…
- 3 oz 4.2% Hallertau 60′
Yeast- Omega OYL-044 Kölsch II. I think this was the first time using an Omega brand yeast. I noted when I did the Bauhaus Bier, I used White Labs Kölsch Yeast, and the Jäger Bier used the Wyeast. Not sure what the flavor profile will do, but this yeast kicked off really well. I had a bubble in the airlock in hours, and it seemed very strong while building up the slurry.
Water- STL County, 2 crushed Camden tablets, splash phosphoric acid
- 20g Mash
- 25g Sparge
- Strike 20g @ 158F
- Mash in 148F 30′
- Decoction 1- 5g raise to 158F for 20′, I sorta missed the beta rest and somehow came up hot at 168F.
- Bring Decoction 1 to boil for 10′
- Recombine @ 157F for 45′
- Decoction 2- 5g raise to boil for 10′
- Recombine @ 168F mashout, also added 5g of hot liquor.
- Sparge 20g
- Collect 30g & boil for 60′, add Hallertau at boil
Brew day went well considering I was on my own. I hit my times and temps with the exception of the first decoction beta rest, but the gravity number at the end, 1.060 on my low reading hyrdometer, as well as the fierce start of the yeast, tells me all is well in the fermenter.
Racked the beer 6 days after brewing. Bubble had stopped in the airlock and we leave for Colorado Saturday. Gravity checks 1.018. Sample is both alcoholic and sweet, Carmel.