July 30 brewed this year’s Weizen. 30 gallons. Good brew day. No worries. Continue to use same basic recipe as always. Double decoction.
- 25# Pilsner malt DE
- 25# Wheat malt DE
- 2# 60L Crystal malt
- 2# Carapils
- 8 oz Traditions pellets. These are the same old pellets we used in the Oktoberfest and estimating 3.5% alpha. 60′
- 2 oz Traditions 30′
- Weihenstephaner. We used the yeast cake Charles had built from the Dunkleweizen.
- Strike 20g liquor at 140F +
- Mash in at 127F 30′
- Decoct 7g raise to 158F 15′
- Boil decoction 30′
- Recombine @ 152F 30′
- Decoct 6g raise to boil 15′
- Recombine at 157F 60′
- Mashout w 10g hot liquor 10′
- Recirculation 10′
- Lauter 60′?
- Collected and filled 40g kettle
- Long cold break on hot sunny day. Used cooling coil and Thermonator.
- Collected two 15g batches in 30g fermenters
- OG= 1.046
This strong yeast has broken out of the fermenter even with 100% headroom. We made beer.
August 9, 2017- Racked beer to secondary. Gravity is low at 1.008. Sample is good, green, strong. Should be a fine beer.
Racked 5g on to 10# of tart cherries that Grand Pop had picked and I had pitted. I pasteurized the cherries for 10 minutes at 160F and then froze them. I put the frozen cherries in the fermenter and the beer kicked into another fermentation.