AGU Oktoberfest 2016 is fast approaching and we need to get some beers brewed. Last year I tried my hand at my first lager it it seemed to have turned out fantastic. We easily could have gone through a third keg of Duke’s Dunkel but unfortunately we just don’t have the lagering space.
This years Dunkel will not be too different than last years. Biggest difference is just one type of Munich malt and the Carafa II is de-husked. I also upped quantities a bit so we should end up with 2, 5 gallon kegs and some bottles (or maybe use the 2.5 gallon keg to hold for us to enjoy after Oktoberfest.
Things went smoothly until the start of fermentation (see below). This was the second time using just the dip tube (no bazooka screen) and the pump to chill, whirlpool, and transfer. I do however think we need to first chill as much as possible with the immersion chiller and then with to the Therminator with the immersion chiller in an ice water bath to pre chill the water, and then take off the Therminator to pump directly into the pot to whirlpool. This is all still a work in progress so we will keep experimenting and eventually hit the best combination. Whatever ends up working best, I am done with bazooka screens.
July 9th, 2016
Brewers: Charles, Andy, Baily, Kevin, Tom, Rob.
- 15 lbs. Munich
- 7 lbs. Vienna
- 1.5 lbs. Carafa II de-husked
- 4 oz. Hallertau pellet 2.5% – 60 mins.
- 1.25 oz Tradition pellet 5% – 60 mins.
- Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
Used by many German breweries to produce rich, full-bodied, malty beers, this strain is a good choice for bocks and doppelbocks. A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete.
Temperature Range: 46-58° F (8-14° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABV
- OG – .52
- IBU – 22
- SRM – 25
- FG – .012
- ABV – 5.2%
Mash Water – 7.35 gal.
Mash in – 7.35 gal. at 130˚ – Step temp. 122˚ hold for 30 mins.
Actual temp. 127˚ OUCH!
Begin heating 13 gals. for sparge water – 200˚ ish.
Heat to 152˚ over 15 mins. – hold for 45 mins.
9:30 am – actual temp. 151˚
Mash Out – Heat to 168˚ over 10 mins. – hold for 10 mins.
10:25 am – 168˚
Transfer to mash tun. Settle for 5 mins.
Vorlauf – < 10 mins. As usual, wort clears fast in this tun.
Lauter – First time using pump for sparge water. Worked great.
Collect 17 gallons.
Pre boil gravity – 1.048
Boil – Hallertau and Tradition pellets
Sanitize pump, hoses, Therminator, fermenter.
Post Boil volume – 14 gal.
Chill using pump, Therminator, whirlpool arm.
After temp dropped to approx. 100˚, add ice and water to cooler with immersion chiller, chilling water before running through Therminator.
Tom ran for 2nd big bag of ice.
Got temp close to 70˚. Not going to get any lower.
Disconnect Therminator, pump directly to whirlpool arm. Getting much better whirlpool without Therminator to slow flow and using smaller diameter whirlpool arm.
Whirlpool about 15 additional minutes, could go a little longer next time.
Move whirlpool arm directly over to fermenter.
Wort looks clear. Transfer going very smoothly.
Hop sludge cone in center of kettle. Cut off transfer as sludge started flowing toward dip tube. Still ended up with more wort than if we used the dreaded bazooka screen.
13.5 gallons in fermenter.
OG – .049
Because this tun is very efficient, I decided to use a bit more sparge water than calculated. We almost always overshoot our gravity. Since I was using Andy’s 20 gallon kettle, I had the room to play with and the wort gravity was running high. Have to change to use the Spiedel fermenter to hold the extra volume.
Carry fermenter to basement. Will not pitch test until wort cools a bit more.
Here is where the trouble started.
After reading last years entry for this beer, I thought I pitched the yeast and let it get active before putting in refrigerator cooled to 56˚ using temperature controller.
Oxygenate and pitch yeast approx. 8 pm.
Went downstairs to discover airlock cap pushed almost completely out of airlock and foam spewing out all over lid. Yeast is going apeshit crazy.
Cleaned up the mess, sanitized lid and airlock, put back on without airlock.
Need to get this in fridge to cool down to slow the yeast.
Hoisted into fridge, left airlock lid off while I cut grass at Duke’s.
When I got home, foam was once again spewing out and even made it up to the refrigerator ceiling. Took lid off to clean, left lid off and went to Urban Chestnut to drink their Bavarian Dunkel and eat a brat.
After returning home I found additional notes from last year.
I put fermenter into fridge without pitching and waited for wort to get close to 56˚. Then oxygenated and pitched yeast. I hope the short time the yeast was active at 70˚ will not do any harm to this beer.
Put lid back on without airlock.
Monday morning. A little foam had pushed up to opening but nothing major. Put sanitized airlock back in.
Monday evening. No spewing foam.
8 pm. Temperature stabilized at 56˚. All looks good.
July 25, 2016
After 16 days in fermentation at approx. 52˚.
Gravity = 1.012
Removed from refrigerator for dactyl rest.
July 27, 2016
Gravity = 1.011
Racked to clean fermenter. Placed back in refrigerator. Will lower temp. a few degrees every couple of days. Will level off at around 35˚.
Will probably rack to kegs a bit early and let lager in the kegs.
Aug. 14, 2016
Racked to 2, 5 gallon kegs + 28, 12 oz. bottles.
Final Gravity = 1.01 making this 5.1 %.
As expected, this beer is “one malty SOB”.
Kegs and 4 bottles went right back in the fridge.
24 bottles went home with Bopp as he has some free fridge space.
Last keg of Rule Britannia also went into the fridge. This has been sitting at room temp. since June 12 as I have not had any space in fridge. Hope it is still good.