February 1, 2014
Brewers- Dickie and Tom
- 21# Maris Otter
- 3# Pale Malt
- 2# Rye
- 1.5# 60L Crystal
- 0.5# Roasted
- 4 oz. East Kent Goldings 60′
- Wyeast Irish Ale (reconstituted from the Triple Stout)
- Strike temp- 165F
- Mash temp- 152F hold 2 hours (added couple gallons of hot water to raise temp 90 minutes in)
- No mash out, but sparged with 10 gallons of hot water
- Only had 17 or so gallons of wort
- 15′ boil and added 4 oz of East Kent Goldings for 60′
- 1 hour (or longer) cold break
Starting gravity 1.052 Perfect! Sample was tasty and aromatic.
Filled 3 primary fermenters with about 5+ gallons each. Had a strong bubble in all three before the night was over.
An incredibly smooth and easy going brew session for just 2 people running a half barrel batch. It was a cold, raining, wet, muddy mess all day with ice and freezing temps late, but this beer looks like another winner to this point.
Racked 1 week after brewing. Gravity = 1.020. Too high, but there’s still a gentle bubble in the airlock, and the stout came down several points during secondary. The sample is excellent. It’s ready to drink and delicious.
Kegged 10 gallons-
March 1. Gravity = 1.014. Sample was nice and spot on. Good color, good flavor. We’ll tap one of these for St. Pat’s and save one for the Boil. Very pleased with final gravity. ABV should be right at 5%. Dickie has the other 5 gallons and he’ll bottle that.
March 7, Dickie writes-
- The Irish Red Rye is bottled. My first time bottling solo so I am absolutely sure something is jacked up. I will say the aroma when I started racking to the bottling bucket was pretty fricking awesome. The beer was really Really clear as well.
- The final gravity came in @ 1.010. However this is a brand new hydrometer so I do not know how accurate it is. I am sure there is a test method to verify it’s accuracy but I haven’t looked it up yet.
- Tom’s IRR came in at 1.014 when he kegged so maybe the extra week of fermentation explains the difference in final gravity.
- I am not sure of the flavor of the sample. It doesn’t seem off or bad. I just thought there would be more flavor. Again this is un-carbonated so that might be what is throwing things off for me.