Start yeast 1-5 days prior to brewing in a sanitized 1/2 gallon jug.
- “Pop” the smack pack and let balloon for 4+ hours.
- Bring 3 pints of water to boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of light DME and stir well.
- Bring back to boil, reduce heat for slow boil for 5 or so minutes.
- Shut off heat, cover and cool to room temp.
- Sanitize jug and funnel.
- Add wort and pitch yeast.
- Shake vigorously and add stopper with airlock.
An option to using straight pale malt extract is to use a yeast starter made of a mix of 1 pound of light DME, .5 gram of Go-Ferm, and 1 oz yeast hulls. These additional ingredients aid in yeast health.